Thursday, October 29, 2009

Of idiotic governance and complacency

It's been the country's goal to have the status of a 1st world state by the year 2020 since Dr Mahathir became the prime minister over 20 years ago. So one of the main steps taken is to emphasize on higher education. Institutes of higher education popped up all over the country at record pace. Scholarships are awarded to thousands of students yearly to further their studies in universities all over the world. Foreign lecturers are frequently being invited to give talks, even invited to teach at local universities. Local lecturers are awarded grants to further their research overseas. Affiliations between local universities and foreign universities are now a norm.

Yet, the government evidently thinks we're stupid. We don't know the difference between what's right and what's wrong. Have a read at this opinion blog.

Sure I'm pissed at the government making such a big hoo haa about Beyonce yet near to no comment about Akon's concert when the latter's lyrics and video clips degrade women. Yes, I'm upset about the initial ban on all muslims going to the B.E.P concert because it was sponsored by a beer company when one of the biggest sponsors for The Rainforest Music festival is Carlsberg (but oh-wait! That's Sarawak. Silly me. Not part of Malaysia right?) and that stupid press statement by JAKIM about banning Yoga for Muslims (which I read on the BBC when I was in the UK - I refused to be Malaysian at that point and insisted that I'm a citizen of the world).

But that's not really the issue I want to address today. Tons of people blog their discontent on those matters. I just wanted to emphasize that we're really not that stupid. Did they really think that after spending so much on education, we're going to remain quiet? Did they think that we're just going to ignore the blatant idiocy of buying two, not one but TWO RM40K laptops? (It wasn't even for the ministry of defense, it was for some admin purposes of a local college!) Did they think we'll be satisfied after the announcement of the budget? You don't even have to be a a Phd holder in Economics to notice that someone didn't do their research.

They announce that Malaysia is to drive towards a high income economy. In other words, that just means the rich get richer whilst everyone else pretty much stays the same. That's how it'll be if our economy is as politically driven as it is. I'm very sure I'm not the only person to realize how much bloody potential Malaysians have, but we are constantly, over and over again restricted of opportunity and choice because some idiot somewhere, with political connections, is getting a larger bank account.

The government think they know best, they send out bright minds to study the economics of 1st world countries. Yet, our real income has deteriorated because it's not up to par with the inflation rate. Proton is still being treated like an infant industry even though it's been over 20 years. The LRT still only has two carriges, both of which are always packed to the brim.

The government has become complacent on the expense of its people. They want educated people. They've definitely got it. They just didn't expect this much frustration and discontent.

But what alternative do we have? Pakatan? Who are too busy bickering amongst themselves?

We need a new political party. All they need to do is promise to lift the exorbitant foreign car import taxes and they'll get my vote. Atleast it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am not going to reveal much of who I am. This isn't even my real name. All I can say is that I'm Malaysian and that I graduated from a university in the United Kingdom.